There are eight main characters in "Angels of Disruption," who take turns narrating the action in first person. These characters are:
- The Heretic: Sin Invokasha
- A fallen angel (excidia) who has taken human form as a Tenebrae woman, Sin was originally created by the God Enuzir to play a particular role in the apocalyptic Purification. But she has since turned against Enuzir in order to prevent him from destroying the world. Having disappeared during a catastrophe several hundred years before, Sin awakens in the present - the eve of the apocalypse - haunted by traumas that she only partially remembers. Nonetheless, even at this late hour, she is determined to oppose Enuzir.
- The Adversary: Jairus Blake
- Jairus was formerly Lazramael, the most powerful of Enuzir's archangels. But after falling into a trap set by the daemons in ancient times, Lazramael was forced to take a human form. Living as a Tenebrae, numerous negative experiences in the material world then caused him to turn against his creator. Jairus is a powerful sorcerer who acts as Sin's mentor and guardian. But his lust for power threatens to alienate her, and may even one day endanger the goals of the daemons.
- The Assassin: Leith Yzazel
- Leith is an angel, incarnated in a Celesti human body in order to carry out Enuzir's bidding in Rhadixe. Such a being is called an irin. Psychically and spiritually bound to Sin, Leith's angelic powers are adversely affected by her resurrection, and he therefore obsesses over hunting her down and eliminating the problem. This obsession often puts Leith at odds with his brothers. Whether Leith's flaws may yet play a surprising role in Enuzir's plans remains to be seen.
- The Outcast: Kiyoko Toubai
- Once a human shaman from a remote island in Yuenti, Kiyoko's life was changed when an aetherial - a magical creature - fused itself to her soul. Granted superhuman powers and unnatural longevity, Kiyoko's tribe exiled her in fear, and she has since wandered homeless throughout the world. Kiyoko and Sin were briefly lovers in the past, and Kiyoko has long mourned for the loss of her friend. Upon learning that Sin is still alive, Kiyoko pledges her full support to Sin's mission, without realizing what that mission may eventually demand of her emotionally.
- The Skeptic: Vyvid Mesmeru
- Vyvid is half-Solari, half-Tenebrae. Having lived most of his life with his Solari father in Keben, Vyvid views tales of angels and daemons as superstition at best, dangerous dogma at worst. The latter view is particularly aggravated by Vyvid's being the half-brother of Vyrus, a youth who lost the rest of his family in a religiously-motivated terrorist attack. The stress of having to raise his brother and keep him out of trouble, whilst also living in Methakasha as an outsider, leaves Vyvid cynical and nihilistic. Thus, when Vyrus accidentally revives Sin, nothing prepares Vyvid for the supernatural contact he is about to experience.
- The Orphan: Kristene "Poisin" Ryckman
- Kristene thinks she is a normal teenaged Celesti girl. But when Sin revives, disrupting Leith's angelic power, the seal placed upon Kristene's memory starts to fail, and she begins to revert to her original form: that of a Tenebrae. Thus begins Kristene's journey to learn the truth about herself and her family. This journey will ultimately take her to Methakasha, and will severely test her newly-discovered powers of sorcery.
- The Goddess: Anihkesh
- Anihkesh is Enuzir's counterpart, a forgotten Goddess who has long languished in the Abyss as the result of a cataclysm in ancient times. Due to her injuries and her long isolation, Anihkesh is initially ill-equiped to deal with the material world and its complexities. She develops a deep empathic bond with Sin and will go to extremes to help her, but sees Jairus as a megalomaniac who is no less of a threat to creation than Enuzir.
- The Inquisitor: Treacheris Yntrigu
- As Grand Inquisitor, Treacheris serves one prerogative: to protect the city of Methakasha and the Tenebrae way of life. In theory this would make him an enemy of Enuzir and the angels. But since Treacheris regards any talk of Enuzir or the Purification as heresy, he finds himself compelled to persecute Sin. The situation is further complicated by the existence of some secret past connection between Sin and Treacheris - a connection that has led Treacheris to sell his soul for a horrific form of immortality, but which may also offer him a long-awaited opportunity for redemption.
The following characters do not narrate, but still play a significant role in the story, either recurringly or at a specific turning point:
- Vyrus Mesmeru
- Vyrus is a teenaged miscreant who tends to get into things. While poking around in a forbidden place with his trouble-making buddies, Vyrus accidentally revives Sin. So begins a chain reaction of events that will both introduce Vyrus to new, superhuman friends, and re-unite him with someone from his past whom he had thought to be forever lost to him.
- Jinx is the singer of a popular "hell-rock" band, who call themselves the Angels of Disruption. Although all the band members have Tenebrae names, only the guitarist, Serpynt, is ethnically Tenebrae; the others only assume Tenebrae personae on stage. Jinx annoys the Celesti by criticizing the Righteous in his videos. He also annoys the Tenebrae Inqusition with his heretical warnings about the Purification in his lyrics. Both Sin and Kristene become obsessed with alleged hidden messages in his music.
- Hexx Yntrigu
- A friend of Vyrus' who wishes that he was Jinx. Unfortunately, he has only the arrogance of a rock star and not the talent. Hexx's sense of adventure set the stage for Vyrus' revival of Sin. His subsequent bad decisions play an indirect role in reuniting Sin and Kiyoko, but they also move Treacheris to harshly persecute Hexx for dishonoring the Yntrigu bloodline.
- Fynaliti Sepulchraal
- As a necromancer, Fynaliti does the "dirty work" in Tenebrae society, whether that means carrying out the orders of the Inquisition, or assisting the Hive of Sinistre in disposing of the bodies of their victims. His refusal to provide a necromantic potion to Sin, on the basis of her alleged heresy, forces her to make dangerous alternative plans to obtain the sacrament. Fynaliti and Treacheris are extremely loyal to one another, as both hold honor in high regard despite their otherwise aberrant personal moralities.
- Sorrow Evoceshi
- Sorrow is eager to present herself as a benefactor, as someone who can provide Sin with whatever she wants, whether this means sacraments (i.e. drugs) or various decadent pleasurable activities. Sorrow's real motives and allegiences remain to be seen, not only by Sin, but also by others who have received supposed "gifts" from this sinister aristocrat.
- Tsion Ifaniel
- An irin of approximately the same age as Leith. Tsion is a Minister whose down-to-earth manner makes him accessible to humans, but somewhat awkward in the eyes of other angels. Tsion is considerably more sympathetic toward Leith than the other angels are, often making excuses for him or attempting to mitigate the consequences of his actions.
- Dhavid Semyaziah
- Dhavid is younger than Leith and Tsion in terms of how much time he has spent in Rhadixe, but his steadfast devotion to duty and his domineering manner both lead Leith to relate to him as if he were an older brother. Leith's dark past, kept secret until Sin's revival forced the truth into the light, scandalizes Dhavid and drives the two angels apart. The question, however, is what motivates Dhavid's reaction more: the principles of Righteousness, or a need to conceal secrets of his own.
Last update: December 31, 2012
E-mail me -
Back to http://www.angelsofdisruption.com/
| -|- -|-